Question About Informatics Versus IR:
Dear Dr. Julius
Thank you for this amazing blog; there are many useful topics that we don’t cover during our training. As I am finishing my second year of radiology, now is the time to choose the fellowship. I will be happy to hear your opinion as I am debating between two pathways.
I am making some bullet points for each as pro and cons.
• ( + )Higher salary, further as it becomes more competitive, I can imagine that it will become more exclusive and the pay will keep rising.
• ( + )Now, with the introduction of the direct IR residency path, it might be the last time to join, and I should seize this opportunity.
• ( + )With all the hypes of artificial intelligence taking over diagnostic in a decade, this seems to be the long term responsible choice.
• ( – )I like from time to time interventions, but I hardly see myself enjoying it for life, especially considering overnight calls when I have a family.
2- Informatics and diagnostics-
• ( + )I am personally fascinated with all the current potential of informatics. Maybe naively thinking that we are still very early in the artificial phase of our profession, I could enjoy diagnostic, perhaps enjoy the creativity phase of this upcoming technology, and maybe also become a leader in this field.
• ( – ) Diagnostic salary will probably decrease in contrast to IR, and there is a chance in a decade that I might be obsolete
• ( – ) 2 years fellowship without any short term financial benefits
The rational choice will probably be to go to IR, but I feel that I should take a chance with informatics,
I will be happy to hear your opinion.
My Opinions About IR:
My Opinions About Informatics:
Addressing The Bullet Points: